This immature male Black-chinned Hummingbird (Archilochus alexandri) was hanging in a lush patch of turk’s cap (or wax mallow, Malvaviscus) on Grand Isle, Louisiana, yesterday. He’s either a late migrant or a wintering bird; Black-chinned Hummingbird is one of the western species that winters in low numbers across southern Louisiana.
- Rufous Hummingbird overwintering in Ozark, Mo.
- Sword-billed Hummingbird, Ensifera ensifera
- Birding Louisiana’s southwest coast
- Immature Krider’s Hawk (or intergrade?) in Louisiana
- Identification of dark juvenile Parasitic Jaeger offshore of Louisiana